YIPPEE! MARCH IS HERE!!!!
Reasons to love this month:
- The wind amps up a mighty roar to whip up dead matter and remind me that the time to hibernate is over and whisper it’s okay, I understand you, sometimes you need to howl.
The free bird leaps
on the back of the wind
and floats downstream
till the current ends
and dips his wings
in the orange sun rays
and dares to claim the sky.
- Silly people wear green hats, drink green beer, parade down the avenue, and nobody blinks an eye. Look for me among them.
- Gardening shows come into town to tickle the fancy of dreamers everywhere. There are more bulbs planted in my garden than ever before. How do you spell anticipation?
- Also ahead this month is a new Netflix/CBC series of my favourite childhood literary character, Anne of Green Gables. Why I’m excited? Show-runner Moira Walley-Beckettt was a writer on Breaking Bad and promises this version of the beloved story has a much different aesthetic than previous interpretations.
This is a very grounded, real version of the story. Life in Prince Edward Island in the late 1800s was a hard, gritty, scrappy life. It was messy, it was covered in red mud. The weather, the seasons, it’s all part of our story. It’s not doilies and teacups, it’s life.
-Moira Walley-Beckett, writer, show-runner
- My daughter Kate’s birthday is in March. I became a mother for the first time 22 years ago in March.
From my food memoir, with love and sugar:
March is the end of winter for me, no matter how long the wind howls. Along comes a school break and slush on the streets that freezes over and melts and freezes over and melts. I put away all the red into bins in a crowded furnace room (a fire hazard, says Attractive Fireman) and put out a vase of purple tulips for our Kate, who likes purple best and sleeps in mauve sheets still with her two teddies, dream sentries at the foot of the bed.
-Anne Langford, with love and sugar
Here are some weekend reads:
- One of the first champions of Moonlight was TIFF artistic director, Cameron Bailey. Here his breakdown of that beautiful discovery here.
- The truth about Ivanka’s Me-First Feminimism
- Would you teach your young child to play with fire?
- My Oscar review (don’t fire me-I was sick) and my preview the week before.