Snow means soup. Red for Cupid. Chocolate to follow, but first some inspiration.
My compare and contract assignments were never this fun.
So there. I’ve got you all distracted now. Misery loves company.
On the Hump Day menu tonight, some hearty red soup for Cupid’s big week.
Sexy Tomato Soup
I served this up recently to a group of friends and brought home a few bowlfuls for the tomato lovers in the family. That would be all of us.
What you need:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup orzo
- ½ cup cream
What you do:
- Heat olive oil in Dutch oven. Add onions and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Stir now and then to prevent overbrowning.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, then add chicken stock, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. While soup is simmering, cook the orzo in boiling water for 7 minutes, then drain.
- Add orzo to soup, followed by cream, then cook on a low simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with crusty bread and a green salad with heart.
Chocolate lovers, check back here Friday for the real Cupid’s kiss.
Happy Hump Day!